Most households are familiar with the mouth-watering delicacy that is bacon. No wonder it’s appropriate for any part of the day. Did you know that you can fetch one cup of bacon grease from four pounds of bacon?
Bacon grease is the substance that remains in the pan after frying bacon. It is solid when cold but liquefies when heated. The fat takes the flavor of bacon which comes in handy when you want to induce this taste into other meals. Some insight into this substance would be prudent since it uses goes beyond the kitchen.
Best Way to Store Bacon Grease
Does bacon grease go bad?
Yes. Bacon fat can go bad. But with some knowledge of how best to store it, you can save it longer.
First, you will need a jar with a wide aperture since one uses a spoon to scoop the grease ever time its need arises.
Afterward, pour liquid bacon grease into the container and close it tightly. I would recommend getting a grease container with a filter in it, so pouring the liquid bacon drippings to avoid letting small bits of bacon slip into the storage container. This method of storage is appropriate for individuals that use the fat regularly.
|Ayesha Curry 46948 Enamel on Steel Bacon Grease Can / Bacon Grease Container - 4 Inch, Red||View on Amazon|
|Top||Aulett Home Bacon Grease Container With Strainer - Best For Storing Fats for Keto and Paleo, Cooking Oil and Drippings - 1.25 Quart Or 5 Cups Stainless Steel Grease Keeper||View on Amazon|
|Bacon Grease Container With Strainer Bin Bacon Grease Strainer And Collector Of Silicone Enamel On Steel Bacon Grease Can Best For Storing Fats For Keto And Paleo Cooking Oil And Drippings。||View on Amazon|
|Cambom Bacon Grease Container with Fine Mesh Strainer, 1.3 L/5.2 cups Iron Cooking Oil Can with Removable a Coaster Tray for Kitchen Fat Storage||View on Amazon|
Can you Freeze Bacon Grease?
Yes If you don’t use the dripping from bacon that often, you can freeze it.
This process is simple since you only need a container to hold the grease and place it in a freezer. Using plastic containers or foil papers is ideal so that it becomes easy to unwrap the Frozen bacon grease when you need to use it.
Uses of Bacon Grease
Here is a list of some things that you also can use your bacon grease for.
- When making popcorn on your stove. Use your saved bacon grease, instead of using olive oil or Canola oil.
- When baking any bread, use it to grease the baking pan before you add in the dough.
- When a recipe calls for the use of margarine, then experiment and use bacon grease instead. It will really compliment a lot of recipes.
- Also when frying veggies on the skillet use the grease instead of oil or butter.
- Use it while frying up potatoes, steaks, shrimp, eggs… practically anything you can think of frying up
- When making pancakes, instead of using oil, use bacon grease.
- Add into soups when you’re cooking over the stove. it adds that an extra delicious savory flavor.
- Put bacon fat into cream cheese and use it as a sauce for different dishes. It is great when poured over squash, broccoli, steaks, and potatoes.
- When making gravy the remember to add in your bacon grease for extra flavor.
- You can use it to spice up your dog’s food, but I recommend you read the last section below where I write about why you only should do this occasionally.
Using Bacon Grease in your Cooking
Bacon dripping acts as a flavoring agent on other meals. In most cases, you add a scoop to a simmering meal, and it will have the taste of bacon. The grease is commonly added to boiling bean s or Brussels sprouts and in the frying of cabbages, onions, and potatoes. However, caution should be taken to use it moderately so that the taste of the food is not overrun by the bacon flavor.
How to Dispose of Bacon Grease.
Bacon dripping can be disposed of with the rest of the garbage once it is solidified. In this manner, you can place a heavy-duty foil inside a cup and pour the liquid grease in it. Once it has thickened, you can remove the substance and dispose of it together with the foil. You can do the same with residues of bacon fat you have been using by throwing away the whole container into the garbage can. But I would recommend you to get a Bacon Grease container (Look on amazon) instead so that you can use it later.
Bacon fat down the Drain
You should never pour liquid bacon grease down the drain since it will solidify after a short period. The situation will cause blockage in your drainage pipe which cannot be dislodged using water. Even if you resort to hot water, the fat is likely to solidify in different areas of the drainage system.
Bacon Grease Recipes
Here in the video there are listed 3 recipes that are quick and easy to make. Look below the video for the recipe.
- 1 Stick of Butter
- Bacon Grease
- Have some Melted Bacon Grease
- Cut the stick of butter into a few larger chunks
- Add the butter into a Food Processor
- Add 2 Tbls of melted bacon grease into the Food Processor
- Use small pulses on the Food Processor to combine the butter and bacon fat
- When mixed scoop up the butter and it is ready to be used.
Also check the video for instructions.
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup Neutral oil (like Safflower)
- 2 Tbsp Bacon Grease
- Combine all the ingredients in a high bowl
- Try and do it slowly so that the oil will stay on top
- Then use the Immersion Blender to mix it all together
Also, check the video above instructions.
- 3 Tbsp neutral oil (like Safflower)
- 2 Cloves of minced garlic
- 2 Big Drizzle of Honey
- 2 Squeezes Dijon Mustard
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 10 Grinds of Peper
- 2 Tbsp Bacon Grease
- Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar
- Put on the lid and shake it all up until it is nice and mixed
Also, check the video above instructions.
Do not throw away bacon grease just because you are not a kitchen enthusiast; it has a wide array of applications aside from cooking.
Leaving the grease in a bug-infested area kills and repels them away. Additionally, applying the content on an area of the skin with a splinter softens it thus easing its removal.
Substitute for Bacon Grease
Many people who may not like the flavor of bacon could be in dire need of a substitute. For individuals mindful of their health, fat drippings from animal products are their ultimate choice. When you consider the levels of saturated fats, for instance, you will find that it is 66% in regular butter while the percentage is only 38 in bacon grease.
Fortunately, there are other options aside from bacon fat. First, there is tallow which is fat from beef. Secondly, one can use schmaltz which is fat from poultry. Thirdly, ghee that comes from dairy fat can be used in place of bacon fat.
How to make Soap from Bacon Grease
Bacon Grease on Dog Food
Is Bacon Grease Good or Bad for Dogs?
Many dogs will relish a dish of bacon fat. However, many veterinarians warn against giving the substance to dogs. Apparently, the high-fat diet will likely cause pancreatitis and obesity on the dog. Therefore, if you must give it to your dog then do it occasionally.
The next time you think of cooking bacon consider the best way to store its first.