First, Can I Freeze Bacon?
The short answer is Yes. But it has to be said that some people say that they find that the texture of the bacon can change a bit.
How long is frozen bacon good For? Most Bacon should be good for around 4 months. But factors like how it is store and more can change this
Why Freeze Bacon?
Food safety stops becoming a challenge when bacon is stored in the freezer. This is because the low temperatures halt the bacterial activity and progress of spoilage. This means that the freezer storage of bacon is almost infinite. But remember that the meat will deteriorate over time so do not store it for years, as if that really would happen.
As stated technically, frozen bacon will stay safe to eat nearly indefinitely, but for the sake of quality and taste, we recommend not to freeze bacon more than around 4 months.
How Long is Bacon Good for After Freezing?
After you have thawed your bacon it is recommended by the USDA that you eat it within 7 days. But if the bacon begins to look or smell off then don’t eat it.
How to Freeze your Bacon
Most food experts recommend for bacon to be frozen in the original packaging and consumed within a month. The bacon is unlikely to indicate any ill effects of being both frozen as well as thawed at this stage. Bacon should have its original packaging wrapped in a different layer in order to elongate its storage life. The bacon should be enclosed in a heavy-duty plastic film wrap or freezer bag, but you should ensure that most of the air is expelled. There is also the option of providing it with an outer wrapping that consists of heavy-duty foil.
For those who prefer to open the bacon package and freeze it inside individual portions, it is best to place each portion inside an airtight bag or to vacuum-seal them. Afterward, place the portions in a larger airtight container or freezer bag. This ensures that the frozen bacon stays good for much longer. How long is frozen bacon good for? It can even last 6 months if the temperatures are controlled and you do not mind the taste.
Can Bacon Go Bad in the Freezer?
Properly stored, and for the best results, the USDA recommends using it within two months. But it should be good at least for up to 4 months. But if the bacon has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
Can I Cook Bacon From Frozen?
Yes, bacon can be cooked from frozen, Just make sure you begin to fry the bacon at low heat in the beginning. If sliced bacon then when the bacon is thawed then separate the slices, and then gradually increase the heat.
If it is diced bacon I normally just throw it on a cold pan and fry the bacon on a medium heat before switching over to full heat when it is separated.
I find that with diced bacon it separates fairly quick which is also why I always keep some diced bacon in the freezer for quick cooking. I find that it can go very well with a lot of dishes.
Can I Cook Frozen Bacon in the Oven?
Yes, You can also use frozen bacon in the oven but you have to keep a good eye on it and expect a longer cooking time.
- Take the frozen bacon from the freezer.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the strips on a baking sheet, spacing them 1/2- to 1-inch apart.
- Then place the tray in the preheated oven.
- Cook the bacon for 17 to 20 minutes.
Can you Freeze Bacon Grease?
Bacon grease is packed with flavor that can enhance most foods such as popcorn, scrambled eggs, and even sauteed vegetables.
In addition, bacon grease adds flakiness and moisture to pastry dough. Its proper storage is essential for it to remain fresh for a long time.
Freezing bacon grease is the best way to keep it for several months. This will solidify but it can still be scooped using a spoon. Alternatively, leave at room temperature for some time before using it if you prefer it softened.
It can be frozen in a ceramic jar or glass for a period of 6 months but it must be covered with a very tight lead.
How to Freeze Cooked Bacon?
Fortunately, it is possible to freeze both cooked and raw bacon. Freezing helps in increasing its shelf life as well as making it more delicious. Cooked bacon should be frozen in strips. These strips should be placed in airtight containers or Tupperware. Afterward, place them directly in a freezer. The detailed process is as outlined below:
- Ensure that the bacon is slightly undercooked if you intend to preserve it later through freezing. This is because the cooking process will proceed after the bacon is properly reheated in the future.
- The cooked bacon should be cut into small pieces, preferably into strips as mentioned above. The strips are good for leftovers but freshly cooked bacon is handled differently. The oil should be pat dry using a clean towel before it is cut.
- The cooked bacon should be given adequate time to cool, a few minutes should suffice.
- Wrap the cooked bacon tightly with either a cling wrap or foil.
- Place the wrapping inside a container that can be tightly closed.
- Store it inside the freezer.
Before freezing bacon, it is good practice to properly label it. The date should be written on the container for the purpose of future reference.
How to Unfreeze Bacon
The ideal way of thawing an entire bacon package is to let it stay in a refrigerator for a period of 12-14 hrs. This is because the bacon will retain a food-safe temperature while it unfreezes hence providing you with the optimum refrigerator storage time. When one is thawing just one portion of bacon or cooking the whole package immediately, the wrapped bacon should be placed in cold water for a period of 10-30 minutes until it has completely thawed and can be easily separated. Afterward, the bacon can be cooked and used in the usual way. It is good to always practice safe thawing techniques.
How to Store Frozen Bacon (examples)
Frozen bacon should be stored in slices between individual layers of good quality wax paper. Slices of bacon should be piled and folded on wax paper. Finally, use excess wax paper to wrap all around the bacon before placing it in a clean freezer bag for storage. The bacon should be frozen until it attains a solid-state. The individual bacon slices should be removed according to use.
Alternatively, an aluminum foil sheet or wax paper can be placed on a baking sheet. Layout individual bacon slices. Add sheets of aluminum foil or wax paper as desired but ensure that a barrier always exists between any two bacon layers. Place the baking sheet inside a freezer for a number of hours then place the now-frozen bacon slices inside a freezer bag and put it inside the freezer for your future use. This allows you to remove one or even two slices at a time without the rest going bad.
10+ Tips on Storing you Bacon
- How long does an opened package of bacon last in the fridge or freezer? The exact answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions – keep bacon refrigerated at all times.
- How long does bacon last after the sell-by date? After bacon is opened, it may be refrigerated for about 7 to 10 days – the “sell-by” date on the package may expire during that storage period, but the bacon will remain safe to use after the sell-by date if it has been properly stored.
- Opened bacon may be kept in its original store packaging when refrigerating; to maximize the shelf life of opened bacon, place the opened package inside a resealable plastic bag or wrap tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- How long can bacon be left at room temperature? Bacteria grow rapidly at temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F; bacon should be discarded if left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature.
- To further extend the shelf life of bacon, freeze it; when freezing, place bacon in the freezer before the number of days shown for refrigerator storage has elapsed.
- You can maximize the shelf life of bacon in the freezer by overwrapping the original store packaging with airtight heavy-duty aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or freezer paper or place the package inside a heavy-duty freezer bag in order to prevent freezer burn.
- How long does bacon last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain the best quality for about 1 to 2 months but will remain safe beyond that time.
- The freezer time shown is for best quality only – bacon that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
- How long does bacon last after being frozen and thawed? Bacon that has been defrosted in the fridge can be kept for an additional 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator before cooking; bacon that was thawed in the microwave or in cold water should be cooked immediately.
- How long does bacon last in the fridge once it is cooked? Cooked bacon will usually stay good for 3 to 4 days in the fridge and 4 months in the freezer.
- How to tell if bacon is bad? The best way is to smell and look at the bacon: signs of bad bacon are a sour smell, dull color, and slimy texture; discard any bacon with an off smell or appearance.
Can I Cook Frozen Bacon?
Frozen bacon can be cooked. The following are a few steps to follow:
- Separate into slices – Frozen bacon slices require separation as they may stick together.
- Cooking – If you manage to separate the slices, proceed to cook them. However, allow for the extra cooking time as compensation for the fact that it was frozen.
- If it becomes impossible to separate the frozen bacon slices, do the following:
Cook solid block – Begin by cooking the whole block on low heat in order to loosen the slices.
Microwave – The other alternative is to defrost it with a microwave, place it on a plate that is lined with paper towels.
- If it becomes impossible to separate the frozen bacon slices, do the following:
- Cook – Use a tong to peel slices off and cook normally.
What Does Freezing Do to Bacon
Freezing is effective in bacon storage because it freezes al the bacteria that contribute to its spoiling. This means that they will halt reproducing. However, when bacon is taken out of the freezer to thaw, the frozen bacteria begin to move and swiftly multiply.
Conclusion: So How Long Can You Freeze Bacon?
Frozen bacon, which is how it’s typically sold at farmers’ markets, will keep indefinitely, but for the best results, the USDA recommends using it within two months. But it should be good at least for up to 4 months.
An unopened package of bacon will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks after you buy it (Depending on the best-by date on the package). But once you break the seal, cook it within seven days, keeping whatever bacon you don’t use wrapped, sealed in a container or airtight bag, and refrigerated.
Or freeze it. One good method: roll individual slices and pack them into freezer bags. and then it will last for months in the freezer.
You can even freeze cooked bacon. You can cook an entire pound and then store the slices in a freezer bag. Then when you need it just zap it in the microwave for a quick reheat.
Bacon is a common delicacy amongst modern families and will continue to be. The above insightful information serves to inform consumers on the use of bacon and its ability to be frozen.